The Healthy (& Delicious) Gammon Recipe
Dec 01, 2021
Hmmmmmmmm, Christmas smells like cinnamon spices, warm summery days with pineapples, and most of all, our healthy deliciously juicy gammon!
This recipe serves 8 people, with lots of leftovers for the week after Christmas 🙂
You will need:
A nice big gammon, approximately 1.8kg or 2kg.
125ml of rice malt syrup.
4 tablespoons of olive oil.
1 tablespoon of paprika.
2 teaspoons of ground cloves.
1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon.
1 teaspoon of sea salt and 1 teaspoon of black pepper.
Zest of 1 big orange.
3 tablespoons of orange juice.
Prepare the following on Christmas Eve:
- Line your baking dish with baking paper or grease the pan with coconut oil.
- Wash your meat and pat it dry so that it is ready to cook.
- Combine the rice malt syrup, olive oil along with 4 tablespoons of water into a jug.
- Stir in your spices, the salt, pepper, orange juice and orange zest.
- Pour the mixture over your gammon and rub it into the meat.
- Place your gammon into the baking dish and cover it.
- Let it marinate in your spice mixture for 8 hours.
On Christmas Day:
- Preheat your oven to 200c.
- Remove your gammon from the fridge and allow it to settle into room temperature for 10 minutes while the oven heats up.
- Add 1 cup of water into the dish and put it into the oven for 30 minutes.
- Add another 125ml of water into the dish if need be, turn the gammon and place it back into the oven for another 30 minutes.
- Bake the gammon for another 30 minutes, turning it again after 15 minutes.
- Your gammon should be ready for carving! Check that it is fully cooked and then serve for your friends, family, and Christmas guests.